Take me to my garden, Mummy

1:04:00 PM

It’s a rat race it is,
This life we live,
Trying our best to pay back the arrears,
Of things we don’t even know we borrowed.
Yet somehow we keep running,
In these confused labyrinths of sewers.

There are ladders all around,
All leading up somewhere, somewhere you can’t yet see.
As you start climbing up, you start wondering
When is it that you can see the top of the tree.
And when you think of taking a break
You see a billion others trying to outrun you, in your wake.

You were happy down there,
In that little garden you called your own
And you knew no one could hurt you there
That nothing wrong could happen while over there
But somehow no one let you live
In the only place your heart could a smile wear.

Is this the way you were meant to be?
You recall the days, when you could just flap your wings
And be anywhere you wanted to be.
Why then are we so stunted, so downtrodden?
I rue the innocence and the free spirit I lost
The manipulations, the mad run are certainly not worth the cost.

I want to break free again, to be that person I always wanted to be,
I want to come out without my mask,
To come out just as me.
And though I am just as crazy about everything that I am offered today,
I want to experience that feel again,
Even if it’s just for a day, just for a day.

1 comments

  1. what a perfect read at the brink of what appears to be sort of a quarter life crisis! lol.. as usual, brilliantly written!

    ReplyDelete