Unforgiving age

10:55:00 PM

Just today I had been on tekdi, like always :-). As usual I proceeded to water the plants over there, when two little kids came running to me calling out 'kaka,kaka..'
At first I just looked at them, and when they were close enough and checking out what I was doing with their usual inquisitive eyes, with questions galore, I proceeded to correct them immediately, telling them to call me dada, and not kaka..
After the little fun talk with them, going through explaining what I was doing, and asking them their names and the usual stuff with small kids, I proceeded on my way*. There, the thought arose whether now I was old enough to be called kaka? I mean was there a defining limit after which you are called a kaka, because this was surely the first time this happened. And I certainly didn't like it. I mean do I look old enough for that, or does the maturity show(!) on my face..? Am I up to the mark to be called a kaka? The thing struck me, more so because at present I did correct the kid, but later on I would have to accept the fact and live with it, being happy called as an uncle. Is there a way to avoid this? Or is it just how age treats you and you just cant help it? I don't think even Kaya Skin Care clinic can solve this either.
The further question arises. Will there also be a time when someone will call me an ajoba? That will be worse, especially when you hear it from outside. This just shows that at heart you maybe a kid forever, but thats not how age treats you. Like they say, age 3 to 5 or so is the most innocent age, and these kids can just be the most honest in deciphering you, whether or not you like it. Age really is unforgiving, and you just have to accept the changes and move along. Like in the new Pepsi commercial, the famous 'Youngistan' one, King Khan has become a dad to Deepika. Similarly, actors too move on to play roles of dads, grandpas and so on as time moves on. They have to accept it and give way to new talent, or just new people in many cases. So there I was, wondering and pondering on this but still, just moving along as though nothing happened*. Thats how life is, unfair though it may seem...

*-both the ways are the same, i.e along the tekdi road to the quarry..:-)
~ kaka-> uncle
ajoba->grandfather
dada->brother

2 comments

  1. Hello kaka(the football player),

    Totally related to your article....that day a kid told me 'uncle,ball do na'.....and i was like shit!....anyways...

    Ciao
    Julka

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude, u r lucky... i'm havin trouble convincing puny kids that i am in 4th Year, not 4th Standard :D

    ReplyDelete