Psychologically speaking

10:02:00 AM

The mind plays such an important role many a times. And is wholly responsible for our actions even if we really know we don’t want to do a certain thing the way we do it. Well I don’t have many examples to show this, but it hit me the other day. I will explain that later. For now though I have certain things to discuss on the same. Now I don’t know what is this 'mind' which does take part and is responsible for a certain action of ours. But it is an involuntary response of ours certainly. And no, I m not talking about our reflex actions. Those are totally different I feel. These are more voluntary. Yet, somehow we just accept them as the situation unfolds.

Ok. This is going very vague. So I will first quote that example...

Well it so happened that I was watching the IPL match the other day. And there was this run out chance. The fielder was at point. And the batsman hit it there, and began to run. Now this fielder picks up the ball. The wicketkeeper has already taken his place behind the stumps. Here is when I observed, that whenever such a situation occurs, the fielder automatically throws the ball at the keeper. Not directly at the stumps. Why? Now there is no direct answer. I mean he has a better chance in a close run out to get his team a wicket by a direct hit. While if it’s a greater margin, then throwing at the keeper makes more sense. But then, in that split second how many decisions are you going to make? Is it a flaw in human psychology and his way of thinking? Is overcoming this is what we call presence of mind? I mean I just observed this now, so it may be like, wow! to me. But I don’t know. Like again, consider. That you are listening to your I-pod. And at the same time, someone asks you something. While answering, your volume automatically goes up. I mean why is it that we can’t just maintain a same volume level. After all, we talk at about the same decibel level throughout, and for a person like me who talks so much, I must have so much practice maintaining the same level. But no. It’s like you have to hear yourself at the same volume.

Now I don’t know if I m making sense at all. But it’s just that this struck me the other day. And hence thought of writing something about it.

There may be some clichéd examples to this category as well. Or so I think so. Like given a new pen, we automatically write our name first. Or just getting a pen in our hand, we start scribbling and writing any crap whatsoever, even if there is no need at all. Another thing I observed in this type of behavior is that almost everyone is affected by this. Otherwise normally human tendencies are such that they change from person to person. But a normal person acts in the above ways itself, no matter what happens. Unless of course you overcome the mind control. Its funny, but its true. I m still not done on this topic. But I myself am getting so confused that I don’t know what else to write. So I better stop before I go crazy and just go on a cyclic redundancy…

I don't think Santa will have anything to say this time. After all, I m a psychic...

1 comments

  1. Liked the way you described the nuances of most people. Great observation.

    ReplyDelete