Dream

9:45:00 AM

Many things in life puzzle me. And though science has gone so far ahead with its inventions, discoveries, theories and solutions, it still has left many things open to debate. Of them, dreams surely are a major point. And although being a fairly regular occurrence, we still can’t explain dreams to the point where we can satisfactorily say that, well ya, I can understand the concept behind them, and can now hence predict and maybe manipulate my dreams according to my liking.

Though I am not a very ‘dreamy guy’ as such, I have had my small share of dreams surely. And I do get these bouts wherein a just have a downpour of dreams in succession and then, there is this vacuum time where I enjoy my sound sleep. Another thing is that I hardly can recall my dreams. I mean there is this point where I am half awake, and at I totally am in the whole dream world and the real world too at the same time. And it’s at this point I decide that well, this is the topic and surely this time I am going to memorize it so that I recall what I was dreaming about. But well, I sleep off again and on getting up, its same old, “What was I dreaming about?” thing going on.

Dreams are a hot topic of discussion as well. So I have talked a lot on dreams, and it surely is a different thing for each individual. I know people who hardly have had dreams. Some who well, it’s just as regular as a cup of tea. Some who have the same dream everytime. Some for whom they mean just more than ‘dreams’ and so on. So basically, this is the reason why they are so difficult to define, because they cannot be summarized in a nut shell.

For me, dreams have always been mysterious. I have read a lot on dreams but could never figure them out completely. Plus, with my very weak memory of the things I see in dreams, I can’t even apply the brute force method to debug them.

However I have observed some things surely. Dreams affect mainly those who are very restless or in a state of mind where there is a lot of activity. Basically, for those who can’t give their brains a rest time because of tensions or problems or just workload and so on. This I generalize because I observed that when I am bogged down with loads of crap, I tend to get more ‘dreamy’. (And also because I read somewhere that you dream more often when your brain is awake when you sleep off). Actually last year during this time I did have my torrent of dreams suddenly, mainly because I was damn overloaded and because I wasn’t getting my share of sound sleep. And the funny thing is I learnt to recall my dreams during that time (lets say I was getting experienced). And well, I had the weirdest of dreams, which included me moving to Jupiter to stay for a while. But that streak broke off soon in a week or so, and it’s back to no dreams for the last year. So here I thought that well maybe, the restlessness of your mind causes you to dream more. Not a bad explanation.

I also have observed a funny thing about my dream. I have had this recurring dream since like I was 6 or 7. And it scares the shit out of me everytime I have that dream. I remember the first time I had this dream (actually I don’t remember anything, but my mom told me about it the next day). I was dreaming about something and suddenly woke up and went into mom’s room to call her. I got her along with me and told her to touch a mirror on my cupboard (I don’t remember this, but my mom told me I made her do that). Now call this sleep walking or what I don’t know, but certainly this wasn’t natural. Well, I did sleep off later when she touched the mirror. But since then, I get this dream quite regularly. And I woke up with starts in the middle of the night, and used to be frightened to the core. It’s been like 12-13 years since then, and during this time I have had this dream hundreds of time. But I still can’t figure out what is it that scares me in that dream. I try to recall it in the half state, but I can’t. Of late it’s not been that regular a visitor. But last year during my dream shower time, I learnt to control my dreams a bit. Everytime I started dreaming ‘that’ dream, I could make my mind not think about it, and could make myself wake up in order to rub it off the temporary slate of my dream. So now, even if I start dreaming about it, I can shove it off. That’s a good thing, since now I don’t wake up crazy frightened in the middle of the night. But still, I would love to find out what that dream is all about.

Another thing which I found out was that I could remember more dreams I dreamt in the noon time nap than at night. This may have been a coincidence, but it’s the general tendency of my dreams.

Also, the characters in dreams are mostly those who affect you the most, or those whom you met that very day. It’s maybe because they are still in your cache and that’s all the characters the mind has an idea about while making the story of your dreams. But it’s funny to think how the people or things in your dreams get manipulated and how a story line is made out of them. I certainly think that the dream stories are the most spontaneous and most hilarious (if you remember them to re-quote them i.e.). A person who can develop this can surely become a script writer because it’s wonderful to think how the mind can make up stories of which you have not heard or seen or thought of ever.

Do dreams come true? Certainly not those you dream when you are asleep is what I think. Maybe they can be a motivation, but I don’t think they are trying to tell you something or is what is in store for you in future. Because if that’s the case, then I would be moving on to the likes of Jupiter, living in a house with no roof, seeing a village called ‘Karad’ and working as a farmer along with other people who speak in a different language totally over there, but look just like humans. That will be one heck of a dream come true then.

I also have heard of this thing called out of body experience. I don’t know if that’s what I experienced, but I have had that feeling. Actually that day I had read about out of body experience in The Times, and was wondering how frightening it would be to experience that. And that very night, I did feel the very same thing, or atleast thought I felt it. It was like I was in two different places. I woke up and saw myself sleeping on my bed, while I was standing beside my bed. I wasn’t frightened as such, but the next day I really thought loads on it and it made me shiver with horror. Living the dream wasn’t as bad as reliving it.

There is this thing, maybe all of us experience it. It’s not actually a dream. Let me put it this way. It’s when you are just dozing off to sleep, and you are aware that you are lying down etc but aren’t as such awake. It’s at this time when you suddenly feel as if you are falling down and you grasp the bed, pillow, or something to avoid the fall. And it makes you look stupid because when you wake up, you are on your bed peacefully, but you feel as if you just fell off. Usually for me, I fall of a cycle or something like that. Is this a dream? But it’s surely something different because you feel like you avoided a major mishap.

Nightmares! Are they the same as dreams? Or those dreams which are frightening are called nightmares? What about day-dreaming? I have never gone through that, but it seems like you get lost in the infinity while you are awake. If day dreaming is thinking, then ok, I have lived it.

On an ending note, I will put up one dream which will maybe surely give me a stroke. That is waking up (in the dream) and looking at a mirror to see that you have no reflection. Man, wouldn’t that be crazy!!! I will certainly switch off if I see anything like that…!!!
Enough said and nothing earned. Well that’s what dreams are I guess. Hehe, I found a good definition for dreams…!!! Cool…!!!

Dream on say Aerosmith… Well, what’s the harm…!!!

0 comments