8 days since...

9:25:00 AM

Something new is beckoning. Times change, and so do the priorities. Expectations change, and you have to modify yourself to get acquainted to it. At times, they seem very difficult, but that's always is the case with change. It takes time to adjust.

Now this is seeming suddenly like a preach, as though I have suddenly become a member of the clergy or something. So let me begin right from scratch.

All was going well, the holidays were in full swing, and so was the mood around, just right. Everyone was having fun, discussing their plans of future studies, of future jobs. Some weren’t quite sure what exactly to do, now that we had so much time on our hands suddenly. The tension of engineering was a passé, the lighter moments were being reiterated again and again. Suddenly, everyone felt the need to be back in college, to be associated with everything they had so detested over the past four years. All the cribbing, the crying, the whining were forgotten, all the fights, the detentions, the scolding, the grudges didn't seem to hold any importance now.

A phase was over, and one could see it in everyone's eyes.

Then came along the ghost of recession. Everyone was happy in a way, that the holiday time was getting extended. After all, no one was ready to get out of the mood.

Like everyone else, I too made plans, big plans. Since my joining was postponed, and I had no great plans like getting myself a patent or designing some new chip, I decided to have a nice get away before beginning my flight into the corporate world. So like with a few friends, it was decided we go on a trip to Europe. And just the thought of it was like so cool, that it was an instant hit with everyone. So the formalities began, with getting visas, the tickets, the time slots fixed, the hotel bookings done, the train bookings done. It was too good to be true, but it was none the less happening, and I was like, "Wow! This is so much unlike my luck, where mostly everything wrong happens at the wrong time." And I was on top of the world, thinking that this was the best that anyone could ask for, a trip to Europe, that to with four of my closest friends.

And then, just when it was like there is nothing more I can ask for, the world comes crashing down on me. My work place calls up, and tells me, that the joining is as it was. So you will be joining in 4 days. And I was like, "What? That's so so unfair." But well, I wasn't in a position to argue, so I just said, “Wow! I am excited and looking forward to the joining."

Suddenly all was a reality. I came down from the clouds that I was floating on so safely and casually. It was time to face the reality. It was time to bid my friends good bye, to see them embark on the holiday of their life times without me. To see them off for one last time, before meeting them after maybe an year, or year and half.

So now the other process started. To collect the necessary documents for the joining, and to get ready to face all that process.

That wasn't that hard. Just a trip or two to the college, and I had the stuff ready with me. The day of joining dawned, and I got up, got dressed in the given dress code, suddenly realizing that well, it won't be fun and frolic now on. The first day came and went, and all was seeming to go smooth.

The first week passed, and slowly, I started getting the hang of how things work out around here. I found a good road to lead me up to work, which solved the problem of traffic. I am still getting used to the office timings. 9:30 to 6:30 is no mean time, and till now, I really had no idea how hard it is to sit at one place for 9 hours. For the last 6 years, owing to the reputed institutes that I went in order to do my studies, I practically had no practice to sit at one place for more than 2 hours. Those two hours constituted a lot of chitter chatter, so time flew by in them. But here things were suddenly different. You had to really sit at one place, while maintaining atleast a certain level of decorum. And that was more than difficult for a flit like me, who, you will know from popular opinion, can't stay at one place at all.

So well. That is something I am really working on. But my interests are helping me cope up with a little of the quietness. But ofcourse, I can't carry them for 9 hours, but none the less, atleast I don't have to kill away my time killing flies (which I really resorted to on the 2nd and 3rd day, killing around dozen flies, which let me be frank, is a really difficult task).

The problem is the mind block you possess. The morning hours seem to pass quite fast. And before you know it, its 2:30 3 pm already. So that’s good. But from 4 to 6, time hardly goes ahead. So I am devising means to get around this time.

The atmosphere in a work place isn't scary really. Ofcourse, the initial time is like a little frightening, cause you suddenly are in awe of the magnitude of everything, and how little you are compared to everyone else around. You really are just an entity, and not a figure to be beckoned with at all, no matter who you are. With or without you, the company isn't going to suffer much. That’s more of a realization you require to get used to. In school, or maybe for some, even in college, everyone knew you, and you were quite a role model for some others maybe. Here, I don't think so... :)

The work place is a place to have fun, maybe at times more than college. Cause, here, everyone is your colleague, no one is a bigger person than you (ofcourse, experience wise it does matter, but you can talk to anyone about anything, without fearing what the person will say. I must agree I haven't really gotten used to this, but ya, I am trying.

Lunch hours, snack time, tea time, coffee time, breakfast time is so adjusted that you don't have to sit at one place for more than 2 hours at any point of time. That's really good. Atleast people around appreciate and understand the shortcomings and the requirements of a human, or of being a human. At times you feel you are being treated like a robot, like a machine, but well, that suddenly doesn't seem all that harsh on the 4th of every month, when you are paid in cash rather than being recharged or your batteries being changed if you were a robot. And then, you are all happy. Ofcourse, I still have to experience that fun, that excitement, but well, its not like that’s not going to come. That will come soon. And I will have a post on it hopefully.

The week as such rolls by without realizing. Its like you live Friday to Friday. And the weekends get over so very quickly, that its Monday morning suddenly. And you are worrying about the week and the five working days, its suddenly Friday evening. That’s the greatest wonder. I think when you break down the whole 24 hours in like sessions of 2 hours each, it doesn't seem that long.

At times you begin to wonder as to how will you survive all this. The long work hours, the long routines, the long weeks. No time for yourself. Everything seems long. The traffic seems to be horrible, the queues seem never ending. But then, think of it like I do. If people all around, no matter what type they are, who they are, what they do, are surviving and are living whole heartedly, then why can't I?

The weekend is the time to give yourself a little time. To pride yourself on what you do, whatever it is. These are the real earned holidays. We have this concept where the more you work, your earn more holidays. And we get like 4 holidays for every 3 months you work, besides the 2 you get for every 5 days in a week that you work. And I think you have full right to pride yourself on these. Enjoy these weekends like you have never done. Do the things you like, and see to it that you do. Because the rest of the week, you will get no time off, and you will just repent as to why you didn't when you had the time! Sleep longer. Play, eat, enjoy. Get out with your friends, family, make plans ahead of time, so that you have something to look forward to in the week. That way, you will again feel like you are earning the right to enjoy that event by working through the day.

Learn to involve yourself in what you do. Learn to enjoy what you do. Learn to make friends with the oddest of people. Speak your heart out, and don't fear yourself or your peers. I have to cope up on this regard, but this is what people keep preaching me. Sometimes you feel that the work is like were your wings are clipped and you aren't allowed to do anything. It feels like your mom again, how she scolds you for every small little thing that you shouldn't do but still do. Ya, it is that way. But for those 8 hours, don't fly. Be in the cage. You will get used to not flying. Think of it like as though its raining. So better stay hidden under the leaves on the branches rather than soar high only to get drenched by the rains. Enjoy a little time in the shade.

Learn to smile a lot. Work brings along with it, a lot of pressures. Coping up with them may prove to be very difficult, but smiling can make the process easier. Don’t keep anything in your mind. Speak your heart out. After all, you are now a grown up, and make yourself feel like one. Ofcourse letting the little child in you out at times is good too, once in a while.

8 days since... I have gone through a lot. Ultimate jubilation, to utmost sadness. Jealousy, mystery, astonishment. Awe, tiredness, boredom, excitement. And is all this (what I mentioned above) what I have learnt? I don't think so. This is what I am hearing all around. Some of them I believe in right from the beginning, some others I hear and just let go. Its a matter of making the right choices. Ask yourself if you are making the ones you believe in. IF yes, go for it..! That is what I believe in. You may not be the best this way, but atleast you are what you make of yourself. Its like drawing a bad painting, or just plagiarizing another’s work of art. The latter may get you places, but it will never be honest. Be true to yourself. You needn't answer anyone else then.

Ya, I do have a lot of free time on my hand. And that's why I can afford to spend so much time on this. This has been said, re-said, done and re-done. But everyone goes through this phase, and there is a reason why the repetition goes on. Everyone needs a sink to say it all to, and no other medium proves more worthy and understanding than this one.

Like I said, these are the things I went through since landing up here. But, I haven't changed a bit. Ya, my physical habits have changed a little. I have started to eat during lunch times, I have started getting up at 8:15. I have started sleeping latest by 1:30am. I don't respond to every football SMS I get with a "Yes, I am coming." I am not that free to act on my free will anytime I want. But I don't think that overall I have changed. Now how good or how bad that is, I don't know. But well, I guess as long as you don't hurt anything else, it shouldn't matter. Rest all is history. Believe in yourself so much that people start believing in you. Follow this, and I feel that you shouldn't face a problem.

But ofcourse a word of warning, like always. These are my thoughts, and may prove to be fatal at some point, if used without authorization. Make your own decisions, and act according to them. Its fun only that way.

Hmmm.. Lots written isn't it. I better get back to my works of art :). Something new in my life, so thought I must share some new experiences.

I can't disclose any names, but ya, I have made some nice new friends here. Have started slowly getting used to the fact that well, good sleep is only from 1 to 8. The temperatures are pretty good around here, and they see to it that your system is very clean, thanks to the frequency of visits to the loo.

All in all, its been a fun 8/9 days since the beginning. Hope I learn just as many newer experiences as I have been since my mission began on earth. And hopefully, they are always as much fun as they have been. But ya, worry not, I will see to it that I make them interesting enough on our forum here, no matter how they are.

Well than, lets call it a day now.. Enjoy life as always, and remember, believe in yourself...!! Cheers...

3 comments

  1. oiii, i had no idea that you had to ditch the Europe plans.. anyways, welcome to the corporate world!! :-)

    cheers!! and now we'll meet when i come to pune!! :) have fun man! Friday to Friday! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey nice post!...really there are so many new things to learn!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey!

    Afternoon time is for browsing the net, and getting on youtube :D

    cartoons kuthun ale? made them in your free time at office?

    Anyway, Europe would have been more fun with you, asa anekda watata, ki apan 4ghe asto tar kiti fukat gelo asto :D :D :D

    aah! still, long life ahead, and we ll get plenty more time...

    till then!

    ReplyDelete