Aladdin throws away his lamp

11:45:00 AM

We had this wonderful poem (which now seems wonderful, back then it seemed horrible) in the 10th standard. Its about how scientific progress has gone ahead so much that now we don't require any of the so called genie or other wish granting demons cause what we wish for is already at our disposal. It truly makes sense looking back at the poem now..
This suddenly struck me now. Meenakshi (a good friend of mine) is leaving the country, and its the first time someone from our group of 10 is leaving the country. Till now even though 3-4 left Pune, we could all remain in touch forever through that awesome gadget called the mobile phone and its wonderful gift of messaging. But now, when it comes to international messages, well, its not that casual a thing. And I then started wondering that in the time to come, well, this is surely going to be the case with not one, but like nine others, and what will I do in that case? Its bad enough now, and i realized the depth when I had to remove her name form the messaging list, and it suddenly dawned that wo wo..!! Its really happening..!!
So I started my usual thought process. I always believe I can make wonders happen, for no reason at all, so I begin to dig deep to maybe invent some new gadget which will solve my worries. Ofcourse, most of this is just some cheap feelgood thing I have about myself, but then, I do feel good, so ya, I fulfill my purpose.
Anyway, point is, I suddenly remembered how Sirius (Black) had given Harry (Potter) the two way mirror to communicate. I suddenly started wondering if by luck I could land up on something that great, so that I can be like communicating forever and can stay in touch with all my friends whenever I want.
I then realized that well, I already have that gift in the form of gtalk/yahoo messenger and the other messenger services, which maybe would have made Harry envious himself. He would have easily given up that broken piece of mirror for some real time, voice chatting, supplemented by send files, emote! and other options.
So well, though we haven't actually landed up upon magic, we certainly are using like most of it without having the knowledge about how great an invention it is..!!
Kudos to mankind to make the world a really smaller place...!!

2 comments

  1. hey when my "special" friend [read as gf] left for the UK, she was in touch with me as soon as she landed at Heathrow. So i can second u on the whole Gtalk being oh so useful ;)
    n abt the mobile thingy, i agree with u, but then thats only as long as Airtel works [which most of the times, it doesn't]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well ya.. but this still is different..!!!
    And ya, airtel no doubt sucks.. but when you give the neanderthal ma a service 100 times worse than airtel, he still will jump up and down with joy, cos something is better than nothing no doubt..!!!

    ReplyDelete