Notebooks - A prized possession

5:25:00 AM

I always use notebooks while studying. I mean i don't study much, but the number of notebooks i use makes up for the notion. I find it useful or atleast aiding my concentration to scribble down or jot down stuff while reading any study material. Also it provides a good passtime to maybe keep drawing things, shading stuff or writing random text alongside. It makes up for the boredom. Anyway so ya, while writing or taking notes, I keep this side work going on too. So over the past few years I have a collection of such books of varying sizes. A few days back, while clearing up the mess I made, I found a lot of these books. And just out of curiosity, I went through some of them, to just check back what I did these years. And suddenly I was filled with awe and respect for myself :-) to know I wrote so much and some of it so well. It really is a treasure, and some of the scribblings or art forms you made during that time draws you back to those days. And you can then clearly visualize yourself doing those scribings. Many poems, some classic one-liners, on the spur of the moment drawn images, some stuff you spent a lot of time on to generate, drawings of teachers and students and the likes, jokes and so much more. Its lovely to feel all these things coming on to you so quickly, as and how you turn each page. Shows you how much you were paying attention when doing a certain work. I never knew myself so much, and i feel this is the feeling you get on maintaining a diary. But the one difference is that in a diary, you write things so that you remember things later on. Its with a purpose. Here, you never know if you are ever going to lay your hands on this book. So, this is more impromptu and honest. It shows you your best, worst, happiest, saddest moments without a mark of dishonesty. It shows you in your most innocent form, your most crazy hour. Its the best diary ever. And I feel proud and lucky to have discovered the treasure they hold..

3 comments

  1. ok, this may seem weird, but i once found a notebook, on the last page of which i had scribbled all the 'gaalis' i knew in 6th std. i was blown away at remembering how advanced my vocab was. some of the stuff i wrote back then, i cud've never imagined myself writing ;)

    on a serious note, really nice n thoughtful post, i remember once Julka wrote a random poem in a lec, n it got published in the magazine [i worked in the section, but what the hell ;) it was brilliant like most of his work]

    ReplyDelete
  2. thumbs up!

    in my 1st yr @ BITS, i used to attend many classes.. and we used to write on the back pages to chat.. as in, that served the dual purpose of not getting caught talking, and appearing sincere-taking notes! :P :D \m/

    so last December, when i was clearing my room, i found those notebooks (strangely, the same SIX notebooks lasted for the whole of my engineering life!), and i went through the "chats" that we had.. felt awesome, it was like i was reading someone else's writing.. i was so naive back then! discussing which gal looks best (those in class) and stuff like that.. and that was all in marathi.. it was the first time after our 10th class that i wrote in marathi for a continuous stretch of some months! awesome... THOSE were the days!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. and in fact.. even SIX were one too many... i realised that most of the notebooks had nothing but the 1st Sem stuff, and just one book labelled "Prob and Stat" (Probability and Statistics being the course, ob) was used for the later 3 years!

    quite amazing and astonishing that i am almost an engineer now! :O

    ReplyDelete